Share it with the Trees

Freshman year of college, while working at the student newspaper - THE GAMECOCK - I met someone who at the time, I did not know would become a lifelong friend. He worked in production back before computers ruled the editorial space - cutting and pasting up the daily read for our fellow gamecocks using "stat" paper and wax. I worked taking classified ads. Edwin (I'm the only one he lets call him that) Schwambliss was an instigator - he and I got in trouble for sucking helium and saying in munchkin voices "follow the yellow brick road" during work hours at the Gamecock. For the next 4.5 years, Ed and I would take advertising courses together, ride home from school to/through Atlanta singing loudly to Led Zeppelin, rolling the windows down and screaming "share it with the trees" on the way home. Many a late night at Group Therapy with Ed (and Shrews) dot my memory of good times - eating pizza we had bought with our meal cards for the late night munchies. 
Later in life I would sing "Rainbow Connection" in Ed and Laina's wedding in San Antonio Texas - one of my better wedding singer moments. Back then, Ed and I dreamed of becoming Creative Directors in Ad Agencies. Ed made it, I did not. I made it to Art Director before I changed career paths. In college, I never thought we would be friends this long, or that Ed would eventually blow past CD and be a CEO. One thing is for sure - ED and his family (Gene, Martha, Carwin, Laina, Olive, Piper) have all impacted my life in so many ways by just knowing them. We only see each other maybe once a year now when they come back to visit Martha, or I'm out in Cali visiting Christy. Ed and I weathered many job hurdles, bad relationships and life altering moments - he believed in me when I didn't fully believe in myself and he always had STELLAR advice for me even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. January 7th is Ed Schwambliss' birthday, but my gift is Ed's impact on my life.

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping Overshopping

You gotta have courage to marry ME!!!!

SNAP OUT OF IT!